What is Tennis Elbow?
- Tennis elbow is otherwise known as Lateral Epicondylitis
- This condition is often the result of repetitive overuse activities of the muscles responsible for extending the wrist and lifting the hand.
- This condition is referred to as a tendinosis
- It is a degenerative condition involving a structure known as the common extensor tendon, which attaches to and subsequently leads to discomfort through the outer aspect of the elbow (otherwise known as the lateral epicondyle of the humerus).
- There are a number of muscles located in the forearm. In the case of tennis elbow, Extensor Carpi Radialis Brevis (ECRB) is almost always the primary tendon involved.
Who can be affected by this?
- It can occur amongst tennis players. In tennis, the Extensor Carpi Radialis Brevis muscle is particularly engaged during a groundstroke and subsequently this repetitive action can lead to outer elbow irritation.
- It is not just confined to tennis players, tennis elbow can also affect people performing any other activities involving repetitive actions such as: gardening, painting, work involving manual labour and using a screwdriver.
What are the symptoms?
- Outer elbow pain, which can radiate to the forearm and wrist
- The outer elbow can be tender to touch
- It may be painful with certain movements such as shaking hands or turning a door knob
- Weakness may also be experienced
How Lalor Soma Osteopathy can help?
- If you are experiencing elbow pain and symptoms, our Osteopaths will take the time to perform a thorough history by learning about your current pain, symptoms, leisure activities, work related tasks and any sports you may be participating in, as well as understand your goals.
- A thorough examination will be conducted including orthopedic testing and if tennis elbow is suspected you may be advised to have an ultrasound conducted.
- Our osteopaths provide an indivialised approach to management for tennis elbow.
- We understand each person is different in their age, symptoms, movement abilities and the sports/activities they performed and an individualised treatment and management approach will be taken, with a focus on achieving your goals.
- In the case of tennis players, long term it is important to focus on performing optimum overall technique.
If you are experiencing elbow pain, book an appointment today!
We provide Osteo care for patients with elbow pain within Melbourne and our local Northern community of: Lalor (including Carlingford & Mosaic Estates), Thomastown, Epping (including Lyndarum & Aurora), Reservoir, Preston, Wollert, Wallan, Mernda, South Morang, Mill Park, Bundoora, Kingsbury, Doreen, Greensborough, Watsonia, Craigieburn, Roxburgh Park, Somerton, Coolaroo, Dalas and Campbellfield, Fawkner and Coburg.